about Spare Parts
weddings & special occasions
cds and waltz books
secure online store
print order form
(Deliciosa Polka; more samples on each CD page)
latest CD: Returning Heroes
New! Dance instruction DVD
for booking, email or call Bill at 413-442-9172
Spare Parts has performed for social dances, concerts, period
events and dance camps from Alaska to Maine.
Bill Matthiesen on piano and Liz Stell on flute combine
with one or more "spare parts du jour." Some of our
favorite "spare parts" include fiddlers Eric Buddington, Ruthie Dornfeld,
Naomi Morse, Frank Orsini, Mark Bagdon, Anne Hooper, Cathie Whitesides,
Susan Conger, George Wilson,
and Rebecca McCallum ... cornetist Peter Ecklund ...
and bassists Ben Davis, Mark Murphy and Larry Unger.
- Saturday, June 6, Peterborough, NH (information: 413-369-4369 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
Contra Dance to celebrate Mike and Barbara Gilman's 60th wedding anniversary! featuring: Bob Isaacs
and Steve Zakon-Anderson with music by Spare Parts and Tidal Wave, 6-midnight
- Saturday, August 1, Windham, NY (www.eventcrazy.com/Windham-NY/events/)
When Johnny Comes Marching Home: An 1865 Music Tribute To Our Returning Heroes, 7:30 pm;
Grand Concert is part of a weekend-long music gathering.
Contact John Quinn for more details: email@example.com
- Friday, August 7, Nahant, MA (vintagevictorian.com/)
Seaside Soirée at the historic Egg Rock Estate, dancing to music of various eras plus light refreshments, 7:30-10:30 pm
- Saturday, August 8, Nahant, MA (vintagevictorian.com/)
Grand Ball: A 19th-century Evening in Vienna: 24th annual benefit dance for the
Nahant Historical Society, with Eric Buddington on violin, Max Newman on mandolin and Ben Bishop as prompter.
Dancing from 7:30-11 pm; formal or semi-formal attire is requested, costumes of the
1860s through 1890s encouraged but not required
- Sunday, August 9, Nahant, MA (vintagevictorian.com/)
La Bella Cubana: Vintage dance music from Cuba and beyond: concert of
late 19th and early 20th century music, 1 pm at the historic Egg Rock Estate, followed by afternoon tea and dancing;
attire of late 19th or early 20th century is especially welcome
- Saturday, August 15, Lenox, MA (www.lenoxcontradance.org/)
Contradance at the Lenox Community Center, Liz and Bill with
fiddler Eric Buddington, Mark Murphy on bass and caller Katy Heine, 8:00-11:30 pm
- Saturday, August 29, North Bennington, VT (http://parkmccullough.org/prod/node/212)
Sesquicentennial celebration for the Park-McCullough House with music by Spare Parts, 6-9 pm.
Also features hors d'oeuvres, "Big House" punch, antique cars, silent auction, and a performance by Living Room Theater.
- Friday, Sept. 4, Greenfield, MA (www.guidingstargrange.org/events)
Mostly Waltz at the Guiding Star Grange with Eric Buddington: waltzes plus other couples dances
such as tango, swing, schottische, hambo, one-step and blues from 8-10:30, preceded by 1-hour workshop
- Saturday, Sept. 12, Winsted, CT (information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 201-388-5912)
Winsted Soldiers' Monument Civil War Ball at the Winsted Elks Lodge, 8-11 pm, to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the monument's dedication;
dance workshop with Martha Griffin 2:30 pm. Attire of 1865-95 encouraged but not required; formal 21st century attire is acceptable.
- Friday, Sept. 18, Seattle, WA (http://seattledance.org/contra/emeraldcity)
Emerald City contra at the Phinney Ridge Community Center, with Ruthie Dornfeld on fiddle
- Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 10-11, near Cape May, NJ (information: 609-889-2168 or CpMyVicDan@aol.com)
Vintage Dancing in the Villas: a weekend of ragtime dancing with Naomi Morse on violin and precepting by Jan and Al Seabra, preregistration required
Friday Welcome Dance to CD music (vintage or modern casual); Saturday Ragtime Ball with Spare Parts, and Sunday afternoon Ragtime Tea Dance with Spare Parts