Ragtime dance music from the exuberant years leading into World War I
Experience the musical energy of America's greatest dance craze. During the first years of the 20th century the scandalous new rhythms of ragtime drove the nation dancing mad with the turkey trot, the camel walk, blues, one step, foxtrot. And from Buenos Aires came the steamiest dance of all — the tango!
These infectious melodies are played from original scores by Spare Parts, one of the country's foremost ragtime dance ensembles. Spare Parts researches and performs dance music from several eras. Fiddler Ruthie Dornfeld joins Liz Stell (flute) and Bill Matthiesen (piano). This recording includes two solo piano rags plus five tangos and a sampler of other ragtime dances. Musical variety, historically accurate tempos, danceable tune lengths and wonderful energy make this CD perfect for dance workshops as well as toe-tapping listening.
1. Arganaraz by Roberto Firpo, 1913
Published in Argentina, our copy of the music is stamped "Vendu par Salabert, 22 Rue Chanchatt, Paris." By this date the tango was well established in the French capital, though only recently arrived on American shores, and still not danced by polite society in its native country.
2. Those Draftin' Blues [audio sample] by Maceo Pinkard, 1918
3. Georgie Rainbow Fox Trot [audio sample] by Leo Gordon, 1916
4. Now Tango! — Alfred J. Doyle, 1914
5. Wizzle Dozzle Ragtime March & Two-Step [audio sample] by Harry Bell &
Lloyd L. Johnson, 1910
6. Canadian Capers [audio sample] by Gus Chandler, Bert White & Henry
7. Belgique Tango [audio sample] by Enrique Delfino, 1914
8. Tobasco Ragtime Waltz [audio sample] by Charles L. Johnson, 1909
9. Champagne Tango [audio sample] by Manuel Aroztegui, 1914
10. St. Louis Blues by W.C. Handy, 1914
11. Texas Fox Trot [audio sample] by David W. Guion, 1918
12. Half & Half by Arthur N. Green, 1914
13. El Choclo Tango Argentino [audio sample] by A.G. Villoldo, 1903
14. The St. Louis Rag by Tom Turpin, 1903
15. Come Back to Me [audio sample] by Will Donaldson, 1924
The Civil War
The Civil War
Dancing by the Shore
order online with a credit card